Monday, August 30, 2010

Update and First Semester Schedule

I know it has been a while since I have had time to update my blog but I will now let you know what I have been up to.

For the past few days, I have been participating in various orientation events including: various lectures on health and safety, a campfire with "Muddlore," and various "educational" skits put on by the sponsors, proctors, and faculty.  It has been basically constant work (and play) but has lead to very little free time for other stuff.

Today, the main event was that we received our schedules for the coming semester.  We woke up early and went to Galileo (one of the academic buildings) and received our schedules.  This was then followed by a introduction to the academic department at Mudd.

Click the image to enlarge.  This is my schedule for the first half semester of classes.  To clarify, the first column is Sunday and Saturday is not shown.  Also, it is important to recognize that Intro to Academic Writing and Chem: Energetics are both classes that are only a half semester long.  At the end of the half semester, they will be replaced by Physics: Special Relativity and Chem: Structure respectively.  The number beside each name is the course number for my own reference.

After the meeting, we were supposed to meet up with our academic advisers for lunch.  However, my adviser, Professor Ekhert did not show up to the luncheon.  So I ate lunch with Professor Townsend, his students, and the other people who were without their adviser.  It was interesting talking to him, though I wish I had met my adviser instead.

That afternoon, we had some activities planned by our mentors.  The first was finger-painting signs for each floor of the dorm (I skipped it, too sticky).  Next, we all walked to the Claremont village - or "the village" - to get frozen yogurt from Yogurt Land or something like that.  It was delicious.  Next was a stop at the Consortium bookstore to pick up some more supplies and then back to Mudd.

Over the course of the day I got both of my boxes from home, and therefore have a lot more clothing to chose from.  I put all of that away, organized my new supplies, and ordered my textbooks online from Amazon.  They had a great offer for students that provides free two day shipping for a year if you use a college email address, which is great!

Tonight, we had a skit put on by the faculty, which was kind of funny, but mostly informative - which is not necessarily a bad thing.

As you can see on my schedule, my first classes start after lunch tomorrow.  It should be an interesting experience, and I am anxious to get started.  So now I am going to take some time to relax and get ready for the coming stress of homework and classes.  It is time for an episode of Futurama.

No comments:

Post a Comment