Tuesday, August 31, 2010

First Day of Classes

Today was my first day of classes, which was really exciting after so much anticipation!  Now, the great thing is that my first class on Tuesday and Thursday is that it starts at 1:15pm.

So this morning I slept in until about nine o'clock, at which point I got up to take a shower and get ready for my classes.  I had a few hours, so I played around on my computer and just had some time to relax.  It was sort of weird not having to go to class immediately, which is one of the nice things about a college schedule.  Unfortunately, I got up a little late for breakfast, so I decided to go to an early lunch at 11:15am.  After lunch I had a little more time in my room before my class started.

The first class I had of the day, and my whole career at Mudd, was Computer Science 5 Black (which is the medium level course available).  It was a lot of fun and I really enjoyed it because it was great having a class that seemed productive and worthwhile after everything that I sat through in high school.  We started out with a basic class introduction, but quickly moved on to talk about Picobot and Python.  I am really excited to get started on the actual work for that class, because it seems really interesting.

Next, I had my intermediate Spanish class, which seemed sort of overwhelming after the lack of practice I have had in the last few months.  The teacher talked completely in Spanish, and while I could understand a lot of what she said, it was still a bit intimidating.  Not to mention the fact that I have that class almost every day.  The good news is that it is a small class right now, with only 10 people in it.

After the class was over, I had scheduled some time to talk with Professor Lyzenga: a Professor who has a lot of experience with rocketry.  I had tried to talk with him yesterday, but I just missed him.  He sent me an email that evening saying how he was sorry he missed me, and we scheduled to meet today.  It was a nice conversation - we talked about the USLI (University Student Launch Initiative) and about the potential difficulties of organization here at Mudd.  It was nice to finally meet him, and I am excited to start meeting actual rocketry students.

I went back to my room and did my Spanish homework (and when finished, was able to get the printer working).  Then I went to dinner with the other members of my suite for a "suite meeting."  It was mostly talking about the logistics of the suite, which was very important.

Then, I came back to my room for a quite evening and am now going off to bed to sleep before my early classes tomorrow.  It was a good first day, to say the least.

No comments:

Post a Comment